Sunday, December 9, 2012

Why Familiarity Really Does Breed Contempt !

I always wondered and felt that this statement holds true. My mother always told me to never get too close to anyone to maintain relationships. Even to my own siblings I keep a good distance and it always been Even with all of them. I really kept the distance although I am emotionally close to my sisters and brother but I have never had expectation from my family. I think money has no value in relationships and it overrides emotions so  I never go overboard to gift anyone anything very expensive. Less is more alwaysFor better or for worse, sibling relationships are for life but at the same time keeping a low expectation from anyone will make you happy not just siblings.

A funny quote:

"Fish and visitors smell in three days." -- Benjamin Franklin

For all of us who have joint families, extended cousins and inlaws its hard to get close to them as the more familiar we get the more misunderstanding develops. I have seen this with my mom and her inlaws so I always took my mother advise and I keep my relationship neutral . And of-course you can never get close to your brother in law or sister in law as you cant really talk about the parents..haha . Well jokes apart, its hard to connect with husband side of the family without being judged, so again I keep my relationships neutral.

Surprising enough there is been a research on relationships.  A study by Norton and colleagues participants were given a list of traits about another person and asked how much they would like that person. In fact the traits were generated to be broadly representative and people were shown either 4, 6, 8 or 10 of these traits at random. The results showed that, contrary to their expectations, the more information people had about others the less they liked them.

Norton and colleagues hypothesized that the reason for this finding was that the more people find out about others, the more likely it is a trait will be uncovered to which they take a dislike
So here it is .. we all have our shares of tears and joys, so why worry and have expectations? instead remember to take it easy !



No comments:

Post a Comment